vv

14257 Reputation

20 Badges

11 years, 13 days

MaplePrimes Activity


These are replies submitted by vv

@Carl Love 

Unfortunately it works for a single unknown.

If y2(x) would be a solution <= exp(x) as it seems to be, then

z(x) = exp(x) - y2(x) satisfies the homogeneous equation

 

and z(0)=0, z(1)=exp(1)-1.5,  z >= 0.
But for x=0, the homogeneous equation implies int(z(t),t=0..1)=0, which is impossible.

The moral. A procedure to verify the solution is mandatory for this method.
Also, suppose that the solution is unique. Then how are the needed boundary conditions determined?

@cuongtd 

The norm is irrelevant.
Why don't you come with an example?
Here is a very simple one.

J:=<a,1,2; b,0,a; 1,a,3>:
V:=<-1,1,0>:
solve(convert(J.V, list));
                         {a = 1, b = 0}

Now, just try to find another suitable vector V.

 

You did not provide enough information or an example for a potential useful answer.
As I said, J.V=0 will probably not work unless V is chosen extremely careful.

@cuongtd 

@cuongtd 

If the rank does not matter, use det(J)=0.
Your second option will produce an incomatible system for most V.

@Preben Alsholm 

I have corrected the approx solution, thank you for detecting the error.

An interesting fact is that the wrong solution was very close to the exact one.
Of course in the present version it is better.

@Carl Love 

Unfortunately I don't know. The existence/uniqueness of the solution should be studied theoretically, the numerical solutions of such problems are not easy.
I just tried to find a simple function with small residuals. A polynomial is convenient because the associated minimization problem is quadratic.

 

@Kitonum 

It is not a bug, it is the (generalized) sum of a divergent series (well known in mathematics) and it is documented, see ?evalf,Sum. It can be turned off using _EnvFormal:=false (or the formal option in Maple 2016).

@tomleslie 

should be return 1/(1-w)

@Thomas Richard 

- parameters seems to be documented only for numeric ODEs. What is its role here?

- Why without parameters one obtains:
   Error, (in dsolve) numeric exception: division by zero

- Without initial conditions, i.e.
dsolve(sys, {x(t),y(t)});
==> 4 solutions,  but the first two are not!

@Kitonum 

Nice solution, thumb up!
A bit simplified version:

sys:={diff(x(t),t) = -k/m*x(t)*sqrt(x(t)^2+y(t)^2),
           diff(y(t),t) = -k/m*y(t)*sqrt(x(t)^2+y(t)^2)}:

Polar:={x(t)=r(t)*cos(phi(t)), y(t)=r(t)*sin(phi(t))}:
syspolar:=simplify(eval(sys,Polar)) assuming r(t)>0:
solpolar:=dsolve(syspolar union {r(0)=r__0,phi(0)=phi__0},{r(t),phi(t)}):
sol:=eval(Polar, solpolar);



 

@ecterrab 

The answer is for the "non-strange" PDE where u(0,t) is replaced by u(x,t).

@Carl Love 

I was at first thinking at

A1:=map(eval, A, consts):
A2:=map(eval, A, c=66):

(which should work in Maple <10), and I was happy to see that map is not necessary in Maple 2016. (I did not see that OP uses Maple 15.)

 

@Christopher2222 

You can simply re-define the ranking of the loser(s) to 0.

@asa12 

I simply don't understand your maths and don't know about what solutiion you are talking.

The problem is very simple. GL(2,3) is (isomprphic to) a subgroup of S_8 generated by two permutations (those given by Generators(GL23)). So, it is also isomorphic to a group of permutation matrices. That's all.

First 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 Last Page 148 of 178