Earl

1025 Reputation

8 Badges

20 years, 119 days

MaplePrimes Activity


These are replies submitted by Earl

@janhardo and C_R 4054

I have examined your downloaded worksheets and learned a great deal from them.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my MaplePrimes question.

@janhardo 

Following Maple Primes unavailability due to maintence, today my internet is down.

Thanks for your reply, I have downloaded it and will examine it soon.

@C_R Following Maple Primes unavailability due to maintence, today my internet is down.

Thanks for your reply, I have downloaded it and will examine it soon.

@Rouben Rostamian  Sorry for the delay. After losing Maple Primes yesterday due to maintenance, today my internet is down.

My earlier question which you reference describes bobs (beads) sliding along arcs of circles being accelerated by gravity.

This current question describes beads sliding at a constant tangential velocity along 3D closed loops whose centres are the z axis. 

When the loop is a circle in a plane parallel to the xy plane, the beads' angular velocity is constant. and the calculation of the strength and direction of their angular momentum is straightforward.

My question arises re a non-circular loop (an ellipse) that departs from horizonality, although its up and down motions are equal and opposite, so gravity has no net influence on the beads' energy.

In this case I am not sure what is their angular velocity as they slide, and therefore how to calculate their angular momentum vector's strength and direction.

@C_R The closed loop is in the standard 3D inertial frame defined by the usual i,j,k orthogonal axes.

The beads are constrained to slide along the loop and cannot exchange forces via the loop.

The mass of the loop, if there is one, is not relevant to the question.

DirectSearch is a downloadable package with multiple problem solving capabilities include many for which Maple's solve command does not provide an answer. For example equations which include integrals.

A DirectSearch help file is also downloadable.

@Rouben Rostamian  

Thank you so much for providing a much better approach to the problem than the original in my worksheet, as corrected by other responders.

I have copied your code and adjusted the bead's starting position, its starting velocity and the limits of animation and the adjusted code works perfectly.

  Regards...Earl

@Carl Love 

Your guess in point 5 is correct. There is only one dependent function, phi(t).

I have corrected the ode and ics arrording to C_R 3962 and Reuben Rostamian's suggestions and the original error message has been replaced by the one in dharr's response.

I will try to manually convert to a first-order system.

@dharr 

I have corrected the ode and ics according to C_R 3962's, Carl Love's and Reuben Rostamian's suggestions and the original error has disappeared, however the new error is the one shown in dharr's reply. I will try manually to convert to a first order system according to your suggestion using the correct initial conditions.

@C_R I have corrected the ode and ics according to your and Reuben Rostamian's suggestions and the original error has disappeared, however the new error is the one shown in dharr's reply. I will try manually to convert to a first order system according to his (her?) suggestion

@Rouben Rostamian  You have enlightened me by your insight, as you have done so many times!!

@janhardo With this simple change Maple2020 executes your worksheet without a problem.

I like your display of the magnetic field induced in the wire. Also, the 3D display is more enlightening that the 2D display.

@janhardo Thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately when I executed your downloaded worksheet only the opening text displayed. The commands producing the animation did not execute. I presume Maple2020 could not handle your implementation written in a later Maple version.

@dharr Thank you for explaining my programming error.

I moved the ode definition inside the MoveRod procedure and the animation worked perfectly

@dharr The Maple2020 help has given me a good understanding of this form of dsolve. Thank you.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last Page 1 of 25